Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

sweet potato and squash lasagne (vegan & gluten-free)

My cooking method consists of seeing something, or thinking of something, seeing what ingredients I have and making variations of the dish based on what I have. That is how this recipe came about. I pieced together several different recipes while adding my own flare to it, based on what I had to cook with.

I've fed this lasagne to several people, and every person who has had it has loved it. My mother sat there going "mmmmmmm." I took that as a good sign! 

Since it was a hit, I figured I would share it with everyone! I hope you like it as well! It is vegan and can be gluten-free, if you use gluten-free lasagne noodles. 




Sauce:
- olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- diced black olives (about ½ can)
- ½ cup red wine
- rosemary to taste
- basil to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste

Sautee the onions in olive oil, then add the canned tomatoes, diced olives, wine, herbs, and seasonings. Cook until hot. Set aside.

Pine nut spread:
- 1 cup pine nuts
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- salt to taste

In a food processor, add all the ingredients and puree it. Can add water to thin it out a little bit. Set aside.

Lasagne:
- 1 box of lasagna noodles (I use brown rice noodles)
- 1 yam
- 1 summer squash
- 1 zucchini

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large pot, get water boiling then add the lasagna noodles. Stir occasionally until cooked. Drain, rinse, and set aside.

Take yam, squash, and zucchini and shred them in a food processor. Take the shredded veggies and sautee them until soft.

Assembly:
- 1 layer at a time, place the lasagna noodles, then veggies, then globs of the pine nut spread, followed by the sauce. Repeat. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment