Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

Cheezy Potato Soup (vegan, gluten free, soy free)

I love potatoes. I always have and always will. I cannot resist anything potato, whether it's french fries, potato chips, hash browns, roasted, or fried. MMMMMM.

Winter has hit, therefore soup is on the menu. My apartment has been getting down to 59 degrees Fahrenheit at times. It's chilly! Combining my love for potatoes and my need for soup. Like, I've mentioned before, cooking is posing to be a challenge as of lately since I am on some dietary restrictions for a few months. Despite all of this, I managed to find a soup that I could tweak and adapt to my dietary restrictions. I've fallen in love with what I've come up with. I eat it almost every week! My fiancee even likes it!





Cheezy Potato Soup: (makes 3-4 Servings)
Ingredients:
1 sweet onion (diced)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
6 Tbsp Flour (I use brown rice flour)
4 Cups Water
1 Cup Dried Mushrooms
4 Medium Potatoes (washed and diced)
2 Cups Coconut Milk
2/3 Cup Nutritional Yeast
1-2 Tbsp Rosemary (dried)
1-2 Tbsp Basil (dried)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
15-20 drops of liquid smoke
*optional: chopped kale
*optional: dried and ground chipotle pepper (makes it smoky!)

Directions:
- Wash and chop potatoes, put them in a pot of water and get them cooking. Boil until soft then drain.
- Chop onion and sautee.
- Get 4 cups of water boiling, then remove from heat and add the dried mushrooms. Let sit for a few minutes so the mushrooms can infuse to make a mushroom broth.
- Add flour to the mushroom broth and mix well.
- To mushroom broth, add sauteed onion, cooked potatoes, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, rosemary, basil, salt, liquid smoke, and pepper. *you can also add the kale and sub the liquid smoke for ground chipotle pepper.
- Enjoy!

I like this soup with or without the kale and chipotle, but I like it best with them. MMMMM!



2 comments:

  1. This sounds really delicious! I am curious about the liquid smoke; what is it and where do they sell it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a natural flavoring. I don't know HOW they get it, but it adds a smoky BBQ-like flavor. I got mine at walmart

    ReplyDelete